The AQ-B398 busbar protection device comes in two variants: the C variant (AQ-B398C) is a centralized busbar protection device, while the D variant (AQ-B398D) is a main device for distributed busbar protection applications. In distributed busbar protection applications the device communicates with bay devices using the IEC 61850-9 intercommunication standard. The bay device can be any of the AQ 300 series devices that have the incorporated busbar protection bay device functionality. AQ-B398 provides a total trip time of less than 20 ms for busbar faults.
- Centralized busbar protection:
- A maximum of 6 bays and 2 busbar sections in a three-phase configuration.
- A maximum of 24 bays and 8 busbar sections in a single-phase configuration.
- Distributed busbar protection:
- A maximum of 24 bays.
- A synchronizing signal with 1-ms time intervals in a distributed configuration.